I was told that there was a pattern to bed bugs and how they infiltrated a city. I said, time will tell for GA, we are not lost to them yet. Now a year later I can say that I have seen the pattern build as predicted and we should expect to see more.
The pattern was explained to me as follows: It starts in the hotels. Guests complaining and management trying to figure out what has blindsided them. Then the residential clients start to feel the pain. They panic and start covering their homes in chemicals. Then finally the apartment management companies throw up their hands and ask...how do we stop this plague???
I have seen the progression in GA and in our client base. We are not a mature bed bug state yet, but if we continue spraying them they will spread. Be vigilant with your flashlight, vacuum and heat and we will stop the progress together.
May the heat be with you!
1. Lodging Magazine weighs in on bed bug complaint management.
2. Lodging Hospitality offers legal advice on a good bed bug defense, courtesy of Christian Hardigree.
Multifamily & Condo News
1. Court awards $40,000 in bed bug negligence suit against the building's owners and operators
2. Rent To Own Furniture opens the door for bed bugs
3. How is your moving company dealing with bed bugs?
4. An Iowa judge has certified a class action bed bug lawsuit against a landlord on behalf of 300 residents.
5. Property Management Insider discusses heat treatments in apartments - good summary but too bad they highlighted the low-end equipment.
Product Evaluation: HEATDon't worry, we critically evaluate our own procedures as well as others on a constant basis. So here is what we have recently learned about heat. New research has been completed on the kill temps and exposure time of bed bug heat extermination. Hint: they are a bit higher than formerly reported. Our procedures still exceed these benchmarks which explain our success. Make sure your heat provider is meeting the mark!
Bed Bug Factoid: Bed Bug Bites
While internet research will tell you that bed bug bites itch terribly and come in series of threes (breakfast, lunch & dinner), the truth is you cannot diagnose a bed bug problem from bites alone. There are plenty of things that can bite us while we sleep - so PLEASE don't show me your bites and ask for an opinion!
If you have questions regarding bed bugs, don't hesitate to send them in. We will address as many as possible to keep your mind at ease. If you would like to receive news updates on a more frequent basis I invite you to follow us on Twitter, Facebookand LinkedIn.
May the heat be with you!