I just watched the video below put out by the Cincinnati Health Department. This is the first video I have seen that seems to do a decent job of breaking down bed bugs for the average consumer. They cover several sections that I think are very helpful for the average person to understand what they are dealing with and what the options are for eradicating bed bugs.
As we have seen lately, there has been an explosion of over the counter bed bug “products” on the market that claim to be able to eliminate bed bugs. Let me go ahead and save you some time and money, they don’t work. Fancy packages with pictures of bed bugs on their back may gave you a sense of security; however it is a false security. As they mentioned in the video, even the chemicals used by Pest Management Professionals are having less and less impact. So take a look and learn more about the lifecycle of your new public enemy #1.
What you should take away from this video:
- Bed bugs can lay up to 5 eggs a day.
- Bed bugs can live over a year without a blood meal.
- Do it yourself is a bad option.
- Call a professional.
- A certified bed bug detection dog like those from the World Detector Dog Organization can find bed bugs humans can’t see.
- Chemicals are very limited and can be highly toxic if applied improperly or excessively.
- Bed bugs are able to avoid chemicals and will just spread out to other areas of your home to feed.
- Bed bug heat remediation will kill all the bed bugs in a room, chemicals will not.
- Bed bug heat remediation is thorough, clean, non-toxic and green.
Bed bug heat remediation is thorough, clean, non-toxic and green.
For more information regarding bed bug detection and eradication, call The Bed Bug Answer at 404-665-3985.
John, Atlanta Bed Bug Control Specialist